Nairobi MCAs on Thursday tabled a notice of motion to impeach Governor Mike Sonko.
A total of 62 MCAs appended their signature to the motion.
These are the grounds of impeachment:
- Abuse of office
- Irregular procurement for among other projects, the Dandora Stadium
- Allowing CECs to work in offices facing hostilities and to work with fear of intimidation
- Inability to provide leadership at Nairobi county
- Violation of the Constitution by failing to name a Deputy Governor following the resignation of the office holder.
- Violation in procurement of goods and services
- Irregular awarding of tenders worth millions of shillings to single contractors for estate roads
- Irregular procurement of a Sh1.7 billion AAR Insurance cover for Nairobi county staff.
- Poor transport systems with constant traffic and lack of street light leading to mugging
- Lack of approval of buildings with Nairobi county
On Wednesday, speculation was rife at the County Assembly of Nairobi over the possibility a notice of motion to impeach Sonko.
This is even as a section of Jubilee MCAs had a meeting with Sonko at his Upper Hill office when they were supposed to be in attending plenary.
The majority of Jubilee MCAs were absent from the chambers with only around 10 MCAs spotted.
Sonko’s troubles started with a dramatic arrest on December 6.
He was locked out from office over the loss of Sh357 million.